Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99% is just a chaotic problem confronted by many who upgraded windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 Anniversary update which is freely available to enjoy. At first everything goes to you as supposed to be but afterwards you realize what the hell you have got yourself into. You put your computer on updates before going to bed, it starts well and keep progressing and when you awake in the morning, you see Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99% and it sticks to it for next couple of hours. There are some bizarre issues in this new upgrade but the weirdest one is Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99% which waste huge amount of time.
There are various practical solutions to handle this issue but the most effective are step by step given below along info-graphics shown.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Fixing Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99% Following Techniques
- 1.1 Technique 1: Stop Automatic Windows 10 updates and Turn it to manual mode
- 1.2 Technique 2: Clearing Previous Cache of Windows Update Which May be erroneous
- 1.3 Method 3: Media Creation Tool Can Help you Update Windows 10
- 1.4 Technique 4: Windows 10 ISO Update May Help To Get Rid of Windows 10 update Assistant Stuck At 99% Problem
- 1.5 Technique 5: Check Corrupted Files in The System
- 1.6 Technique 5: Install all Device Drivers Properly before Continuing Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant.
Fixing Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99% Following Techniques
Technique 1: Stop Automatic Windows 10 updates and Turn it to manual mode
Note: Make sure you have logged in to Windows 10 with Administrator account so that you can have all access rights.
- Type Windows + R Keys together to open Run
- In Run utility type services.msc and press Enter.
- Now Services window listing all services will appear. Now it’s time to scroll the list and find Windows update service from the list. Stop this services by Right clicking on it and select Stop.
- Again Right Click on Windows update service and then select Properties. A property window will open.
- Locate startup type option and from drop down, set it to Manual mode and click Ok. We do it so that it would not start again automatically at windows startup.
- Verify from the Status Column and make sure that update services is stopped. Now close the Window.
- Restart Windows and again run Windows 10 upgrade assistant. Now I hope it would work and you will not experience Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99% error.
Note: If the above method did not work try the one below.
Technique 2: Clearing Previous Cache of Windows Update Which May be erroneous
While you upgrade your windows from version 7/8 to windows 10 it may be possible that update service of windows 7 or 8 may conflict with the update service of windows 10 so we must first disable windows 7 update services before continuing to upgrade.
Note: Login to windows with Admin user.
- If Windows 10 upgrade assistant is stuck at 99% and does not progress further, Restart Windows.
- Right-Click at Windows button on bottom left corner of desktop. Now from drop down menu select Command Prom (Admin). Black command line window will appear in admin mode.
- Type the net stop bits and net stop wuauserv commands in command line one line after another and press Enter like below:
- Now type Exit Command and press Enter. Command line coloses Prompt and go the following folder:
- Now navigate to the locationC:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ from my computer and copy all of its content in folder on desktop for backup purpose.
- Again go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ and delete all of the content in it as shown in the picture below:
- Now restart the system and run Windows Upgrade Assistant again and it should not display Windows 10 upgrade assistant is stuck at 99% error.
Method 3: Media Creation Tool Can Help you Update Windows 10
Thanks to media creation tool which does the same job as Windows update manager do, and the good thing is it does not generate error like Windows 10 upgrade assistant is stuck at 99%. It manages the downloaded files in efficient manner so that it doesn’t have to cope with collisions.
- Click on Media Creation Tool to download it from Microsoft official website.
- After downloading, right-click on the file and select Open to launch media creation tool.
- On screen instructions will get you to Windows 10 Setup.
- From here now you have to select the first option: Upgrade This PC Now and click Next Button.
- It would start downloading update files and you have to wait until it finishes. After that click Accept to agree to terms and conditions.
- Verify thatKeep personal filesoption is selected if it is not. Anyway it is selected by default in the installer.
- “Change what to keep” option let you choose manually to what to keep and what to not.
- NowWindows 10 anniversary update can be started by clicking on Install button.
Technique 4: Windows 10 ISO Update May Help To Get Rid of Windows 10 update Assistant Stuck At 99% Problem
If you are so much deliberately eager to experience new Windows 10 features, why don’t you go through performing a clean install of Windows 10? It may not only upgrade everything else on computer but you won’t even face the error of Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99%.
Note: This method is an alternative to Windows 10 upgrade assistant.
- Backups of critically important files and directories should be taken before going through steps below.
Windows 10 ISO file can be downloaded from official websites.
- Get rid of any active Antivirus application currently running in the system. Simply disable it so that it doesn’t interfere with the installation.
- You can write that ISO file to bootable USB and boot the system to continue upgrade and install new Windows 10 process.
- On screen guidelines will get you through the completion of whole upgrade process till the finishing point.
After finishing upgrade process, you will not face any Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99 again in future.
Technique 5: Check Corrupted Files in The System
Windows Update Assistant stuck at 99% is a commonly reported error at Microsoft platform which may also come to appearance due to corrupted system files which may get the system conflicted with windows update manager.
A complete system scan for corrupted files can be launched by typing the command sfc /scannow in command line and pressing enter. It would ask you to enter Windows CD/ DVD in the drive so that it can replace all the found corrupted system files with the new one. The you can try windows upgrade process again.
Technique 5: Install all Device Drivers Properly before Continuing Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant.
While I was searching solution to the problem of Windows Update Assistant stuck at 99% error, one of the solution was stated to install device drivers of all the peripherals and devices attached to your system before continuing upgrade to windows 10 so that it does not stuck in figuring out installation of the incomplete or corrupted drivers in the system. To find out which device is not properly installed, visit Device Manager by right clicking on my computer and check to see if device tree is listing any hardware with yellow error icon. Then visit the manufacturer website and install relevant drivers.
Solutions given above are more authentic than all else I found when I was facing the say problem of Windows Update Assistant stuck at 99%. But if you have gone throught all the mentioned steps above and you haven’t got out of the mess please let me know below in the comments. And one thing more! If you like my article, then please share it to support me.