The logical basis why VLC player is believed as Swiss Army knife is that it is a multifunctional media application. Here you should at least be acquainted with VLC screen capture application. Not only it plays any media and sound file of any sort or format (extensions like .mkv, .mp4, .mp3, .wma, .ogg and so on) without dilemma but what the most worth mentioning is beyond the boundaries of playing videos and audios.
VLC Screen Capture tool is one of its best accomplishments. There are a great deal of dedicated screen capturing tools obtainable online for free or premium, so what’s extraordinary about this one? It requires simple steps and doesn’t necessitate getting special attention to learn VLC for recording purposes. Another fact is that VLC is free and open source so it is constantly being evolved by a community of programmers so the results it generates are morae fairly tested and enhanced.
Steps to Record With VLC Screen Capture
To utilize VLC screen capture tool following steps are required:
- Recording button is not visible on interface by default, so to make it appear open VLC and click on VIEW menu. Then select Advance Controls. Four more buttons above the Play button will appear, one which is a red recording button.
- As VLC can record desktop/screens, currently playing DVD and Live Camera also. So we should select the actual source we want to be captured, it is desktop in this case. So Click Media menu and select Open Capture Device option. Alternative to do so is Ctrl + C.
- Now another window named Open Media with Capture Device tab selected will appear. Set Capture mode selection to Desktop. Set desired frames Rate to 20fps or more depending upon how many frames per second you want to capture. The higher the values the fine the recording would be. But the size of video would be increased accordingly.
- Click on Play button having a small down arrow tip. VLC will continue displaying desktop of your PC or Laptop. Make certain that VLC player window is not maximized, otherwise and never-ending flow of VLC inside VLC windows would be shown.
- Now hit that Red Record button to continue recording your desktop.
- Keep VLC window minimized on taskbar so that it does not appear in recording. No start working on anything on desktop you wish to make a recording of. When the work is finished, maximize VLC player and again click on red record button. VLC screen capture tool will stop recording desktop and the video clip having extension of .avi will be saved itself in default videos directory under documents.
For further customization of the screen cast may be imported to another dedicated video editing tool so that sound may be added or parts of the video of no importance may be eliminated from it. If you don’t have VLC and wan to put it to work, you may wish to download it.